Two young Italians between the ages of 8 and 9 years old have learned to their cost that the black henna, which is used to carry out some temporary tattoos, was neither as ephemeral nor as harmless as it seems.
The two children have indeed suffered from a severe allergy to para-phenylenediamine (PPD), one of the components of the substance with which had been drawn an eagle on the arm of the first, and a dragon on the back of the second.
Itching, blisters, oozing…
Respectively two and ten days after application of black henna on their skin, the two young boys have developed a dermatitis in which the lesions have taken the form of tattoos.
Itching, blisters and oozing have accompanied the evolution of the pathology, which disappeared after four weeks of treatment, tells Why Doctor. In spite of the antihistamines and local application of a cream with steroid base, the marks are still evident on the bodies of the two children. And this is not the only consequence of this mishap.
Use rigorously controlled
In fact, after this episode allergic, young patients now have a greater risk of triggering a new reaction to the black henna in the future, explain in a study published last April 14 in the International Journal of Environmental Research & Public Health, pediatricians from the university of Perugia (Italy) who were interested in these two cases.
This is why the cosmetic use of the substance is very dark, which does not exist in a natural state, but is obtained by mixing the henna red of the PPD and other products, is strictly controlled in Europe.
For tattoos ephemeral, the doctors recommend addition to use hennés natural. If they give the drawings to the skin a hue that quickly turns brown and then to orange, they present an allergenic risk almost non-existent.